"People who work for Ford drive Fords," he says, punctuating the statement with his left-sided mouth twitch/eyebrow arch.
"You're saying you don't trust me."
"No, if I didn't trust you I wouldn't have brought it up."
"But my relationship with my former boss..."
"She works for the competition!"
"makes you..."
"just a little nervous." He displays the inch of space between his thumb and forefinger and squints through it, trying to be cute. "Just a little."
"She was my boss, my mentor, my friend. I knew her values, her vision for the program, her ideals. I knew all about her family...her troubles with her daughter. I lost her as my boss and mentor. I'm not going to lose her as my friend, too."
"I would never buy a Ford. " I continue. I'm on a roll and he steps back. "Not even if I worked for them. (he makes that damn half-face again) I don't think they're good cars. For better or for worse, I'm well-educated and I know my rights to choose and hold those rights as sacred. My choices are my own and I will not allow my family, friends or co-workers to limit those choices. Nothing I say can convice you of my loyalty. You have to decide to trust me. I will not cut ties. I am what I am and I hope you can work that because if you can't then we need to have more conversation around this."
"I get the message. I wouldn't have expected anything less."
Whoa! Girl on steroids! Watch out!
2 comments:
JM - I am proud of you!!! I couldn't have said it better myself. Those are retorts that you play out in your head AFTER the confrontation (of sorts) and you wish you'd said this or said that. I don't think you have to worry about wishing and hoping for this one!!!
Good job!
JM, you are good. Very good.
Post a Comment