Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Pep Talk

To go or not to go? I am once again in an embarrassing situation. Now I must either face the person I embarrassed myself in front of or never ever show my face again. I’m very black and white about these turning point moments. Either I swallow my pride or I nurse it and convince myself I was right to run away and never look back every single time I remember this moment.

It is precisely this reason that I was a cheerleader in high school.

Ok, that’s not true. I thought I’d make friends. Let that be a lesson to your daughters. Cheerleading will get you into a dressing room full of bitchy queens. It will take up half your closet with morbid black and orange clothing. It will force you to freeze your ass (literally) in short skirts that hide nothing. But it will not make you any friends.

What cheerleading did for me: I was embarrassed in front of crowds of hundreds – repeatedly. I farted during pyramids, I turned the wrong direction and ran into people (hard), I started the cheer, “First and 10, do it again!” when our defense was on the field. I caught a group of guys looking up my skirt as I walked up the stairs. I dropped L., who was kneeling on my lower back – ok, that was on purpose. She, like, totally deserved it.

I learned to let it go and get back out there and cheer, raw raw raw! Ok, so I stopped shaving my legs and started wearing black lipstick. The point is, I kept going out there.

And that is what I’m going to do. I’m not going to run away. But I sure wish I had a huge pair of sunglasses to hide behind.

Is this what Bush feels like every time he leaves the White House?

4 comments:

jdoc said...

Um. No. Bush doesn't get that he needs to hide. No remorse in that man. You, however, are learning and growing and smarter than your president. Carry that to the bank -- but not on your back because you will drop it.

jm said...

Ah, thanks! It's not every presidency that one can claim presidential-superiority.

Ok, Dad. Out with it. Say what you have to say about disrespectin' our leader. All I can say is thank god we live in the USA or your single, outspoken, educated daughter would be in danger of being stoned. Unless we lived in France.Or Sweden. Or really anywhere in Europe. Come to think of it, what's so great about this place again?(kidding)

cmm said...

Very clever, by revealing past embarassments you think you can get out of spilling beans on this present embarassment. Well, it won't work! My curiousity (insatiable) is piqued. I must know all!

Or not, just as you like (:

jm said...

Roommates suck, man! You can't hide anything from them - not even when they live 2000 miles away with a husband and child.

CMM - I owe you a letter.