Saturday, May 20, 2006

The Big Rock

As children we spent most of our time playing on a large sandstone rock we called The Big Rock, a 15 foot tall boulder, and we climbed it without chalk or ropes or special shoes. We identified the foot holds and we pulled ourselves up with our own strength. Brother MM and the youngest neighbor boy were too young and unable to pull themselves up – so we worked together to get them to the top.

The rock was divided into “rooms” and The Big Kids’ Bedroom was outlined by a large crevice. We Big Kids didn’t allow The Little Kids in the bedroom because we were afraid they would fall into the crack. We were so responsible. We had rules. We had designated bathrooms – rocks behind which we did our thing – one for boys and the other for girls.

As diligent as we were regarding the society, public health and safety of our little world on The Big Rock, it didn’t stop baby brother, aged 3, from falling off the boulder. Luckily he landed in the middle of a yucca plant. Whew! We all gathered around him, convincing him and ourselves that he was ok, and made him promise to never tell Dad.

Years later, I returned to The Big Rock to discover the Big Kids’ Bedroom had fallen off all together and, unlike my lucky brother, it shattered when it hit the ground.

A couple of weeks ago, my baby brother fell again. Pretty hard. From quite a distance. And once again, it was kind of my fault. This time I tried to catch him. He didn’t need to be caught, though. I like to think he learned how to land on his own two feet back when he fell off The Big Rock. Back when I learned to let him fall. We’re both still learning.

5 comments:

aemelia said...

You're good.

Anonymous said...

I know what you're thinking, and it is not kind of your fault. We all fall and we learn upon landing and living what inspires each of us to get up. To pick out the stickers, and start climbing until once again we are on top. Family is our strength. It's all those little voices telling us, "You're okay... It is just a scratch... Hey, I hit my head a bunch when I was little, and look at me!"

Connie said...

I hope your bro is okay.

jm said...

Thanks, Auto. Brother is fine - just a broken heart - thanks for the concern. I do worry. Sometimes the heart hurts the worst.

jm said...

jmtoo... did you really hit your head a bunch, or did I just tell you that to cover up the fact that I dropped you on your head as a baby? The world will never know...