Friday, May 12, 2006

I'd like my eggs over-easy and my conversation over-heard, please

“Why don’t you just stay at my place? You know? Stay at my place. Just stay at my place. If you just stay at my place I’ll be able to see you. If you stay at my place. You know what I mean? Just stay. Stay there. Just stay there. You know what I mean?...”

He’s on his cell phone and he’s loud. I’m guessing she knows what he means. He means he wants her to stay at his place. He goes on to repeat this statement for 15 minutes.

I try to focus on my book only to hear him assert, “If I have something to say to you, I’ll just say it.”

Yeah, you’ll say it! You’ll say it, like, 50 times! You know what I mean?

4 comments:

aemelia said...

You know what I'm sayin'?

LH said...

i'm listening to people in a coffee shop. they're arguing over a business deal. everyone's doing their best, but you can feel the tension. i'll probably listen awhile longer before I decide to actually start grading papers.

Anonymous said...

I was recently in a long line waiting to return a rental car. Everyone in line was on their phone, most airing some kind of personal crisis. It was 3pm. Who are these people talking to? I lack that someone I can call every time I am get caught in traffic, or in line waiting, or at a restaurant. Thanks to others' conversations at least I won't be haunted by the peace and quiet that used to accompany a room full of stranger. (God forbid we should talk to each other.)

jm said...

And the worst part is that he was sitting at the table with another guy and totally ignoring him. Cell-phones make us rude. But they do make for easy evesdropping, which I love to do. I'm such a voyeur.