Thursday, October 20, 2005

Good Girls Don't Leave Evidence

One morning, at the innocent age of 4, I woke early just as Dad was leaving for work. I was hungry, so I made myself breakfast. I cleaned my bowl and went to wake my mom and report how good I was.

She, a nurse, worked nights so was trying to get some much needed sleep. I wanted validation.

"Mommy, I made my own breakfast and washed my bowl."

"Good girl, honey, you're so grown up."

"And now I'm going to say the Pledge of Allegiance." And I did. Hand over heart, I saluted my mother as she lay in bed and tolerated my presence.

What I didn't tell her was the REASON I'd washed my bowl - to remove all evidence of the chocolate syrup I'd put on my cheerios instead of milk. Having successfully deceived and covered up my deception, I felt so thoroughly adult, and truly on a roll, that the Pledge of Allegiance seemed a natural progression.

I got a lot of praise that day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you should pledge allegiance to your mom every morning. Out loud so she can hear it. Something very inspirational about that to me. Actually, something very inspirational about you to me in general.

Anonymous said...

And that's where the love/hate relationship with chocolate started ... it's all becoming cleare JM. Thanks for the insite...

Anonymous said...

IF only I could spel ...

jm said...

jdoc, you inspired me to get back on-line. sorry so boring lately. I can't seem to get past something in my head. i've been trying to work it out and when i do, i'll share it. it's weird. i've never been a private person before...

goode speling is four the weekminded