"I want to ask you to do something, but you probably won't be happy about it." My former boss is on the phone. I'm pretty sure she's going to ask me to train in the person who replaced the person who replaced me and if so, she's right.
"I want to set you up with the son of a friend."
"Oh! Well, of course! I'd love to."
It'll never happen.
I've had two other former bosses attempt this in the last 3 years and it never actually happens. See, men don't want their mothers to set them up. They're not interested in the women their mothers approve, or push on them.
Once I was given a man's number. Turned out it was his cell. When I called he was practically silent and could only manage one word at a time. It was extremely awkward and embarrassing for me (although I took comfort in the fact that at least I have social skills) but it was even worse for his mother. I found out later he was, at the moment I called, out to dinner with his mother and spent his end of the "conversation" throwing daggers at her across the table.
But this guy has apparently agreed to this set-up. I sent him an email. It bounced back. Twice. Either the Universe is against us, or I have the wrong address. In the process of trying to get the correct address, I came across this exchange between my matchmakers at the bottom of an email:
[I've given him her email address and he said he'd follow thru...but if he doesn't today, well, encourage her to write to him. He asked me what she looks like and I said, "Well, if she's not attractive, I'm pretty sure J. would have said something..."]
Ah, do you feel the love in the air?
The most promising thing about him is the gratuitous question on his computer service website "Is there a helipad at this location?" Seriously. Having problems with your computer? Is there a helipad at this location? Intrigued? I know I am...
2 comments:
So, are you flying home for Winter Soltice or what? (A little tired already of saying Christmas.) Let me know what happens, this guy sounds heli-cool.
He, unfortunately, does not have a helicopter, but is open to the idea of exchanging services for a ride in one. Or at least that's how he explained it to me.
We're having coffee this weekend. He seems funny but made no reference to the "half Scotch - half water" joke about the nationality of our name. That could be a nagative....
Post a Comment