Thursday, January 19, 2006

Women Should Go ALL The Way!

Here is a tidbit from my excellent doctor to you:

70% of WOMEN with COLON CANCER have it in the RIGHT side of their colon.

This means that it will not be detected by a Flex Sig (flexible sigmoidoscopy) which only shows the Left side of the colon.

Most people (myself included) prefer a flex sig to a colonoscopy because you don't have to fast or drink that yukky stuff that you mix with something clear, like white grape juice (choose something you DON'T love because you'll never be able to drink it again after this experience) and you only have to give yourself a couple of enemas.

However, they have recently stopped giving medication to flex sig patients which means, if having something up your ass really hurts/disturbs/torments you, that's too bad. A flex sig has it's "uncomfortable" moments.

With a colonoscopy, they give you fun drugs and you get to take the day off work and everyone feels awful for you and secretly thanks god that they are not getting a colonoscopy, but feel guilty because they know they should (this statement pertains to those over 50).

And, since a colonoscopy is really the best way to detect colon cancer (or the possibility of it) in women, why waste your time?

Get a colonoscopy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Duly noted, but it doesn't sound like something I want to run out and do. I'll think it over.

aemelia said...

You seriously need to get your writing out to a wider audience. You've got a message and you say it so well.

jm said...

Ah, thanks, but Katie Couric is already there. She's head spokewoman! But I guess I have been screened for several diseases. All things people over 40 are supposed to do: mammogram, colonoscopy, bone scan.... wow. I hadn't thought of that before.

Anonymous said...

JM,

I guess I should tell you now. You seem to have figured some of it out already any how.

You really are much older than your parents told you. We are not sure how old you are but the age we gave you worked with our wedding date and all that stuff so we didn't have to "explain" anything to relatives, etc.

Your mother found you on a big rock in our back yard. You were so cute, and had a sign with some mexican sounding name "Jesus" I think it was, pined to your shirt. Your mother liked Jody better but I miss spelled it as Jodi on the paper work.

I was not there at the time but since your Mother and I had never had sex, I had no reason to question her story, nor her sudden weight loss about the same day she found you.

At any rate, you may be older than you think you are and that might explaine why you have all of those "old foke" illnesses and need all of those test for people over 40.

Give me a call if you have questions.

Love,
Terr-Dogg

cdoc said...

Thanks for the advice about the colonoscopy. Also, what a great father you have!

jm said...

Yes, dad's stories get wackier all the time....found me on a rock in the backyard? Wherever do you get these things?