Saturday, August 27, 2005

The Body Neurotic

I ran this morning. I ran at 7 AM this morning. I headed out the door for my first run since May and started - going UP HILL.

"Hey, you're pinching me!" whined my left big toe - voice thick with sleep, but my little pinky was pretty sure she had the worst of it. "Do these shoes even fit?" joined in my right foot, a chorus of complaining. I admitted that I perhaps hadn't tied that shoe very tightly. "Quite obvious," stated my no-nonsense heel, a decorated General bearing scars from recent battle with my new ballet flats from Target. (He no longer trusts my judgement). And suddenly we were headed down hill.

My shins were definitely awake now. "How many times have we told you - STRETCH FIRST!" I ignored them, per usual, and we continued up hill again.

"Your right knee and I, we've discussed the issue, and we're pretty sure you can't make it up this hill without us and we're ready to call it quits." I explained to left knee that treason was a punishable offense at which point he countered with, "It will only hurt you more than us." I continued to reason with them, every second getting me their cooperation (through distraction) for one more step, until we crested the hill and took a left (down hill) and I cackled with glee. Or tried to cackle, really more of a spit and sputter and slight wheezing sound.

I tried to entertain myself by observing the homes for sale and grieving over the large elm trees marked for death with spray paint - the latest victims of dutch elms disease - when a loud, uneven noise broke through my revelery. "You're suffocating us!" LUNGS are so melodramatic. This was the worst hill. I decided to go for shaming technique.

I reminded LUNGS that they had humiliated me when I attempted to take them out for a nice leisurely stroll up Mt. Helena a couple summers back. Not to mention the short, tense breaths I'd been subjected to during the past, stressful week at work. "If you'd expand more on a regular basis - actually take some air in when you're at the desk or cooking - you wouldn't have to work so hard when it's time for some fun! This ridiculous sputtering is beneath you." (Shame seemed to be working). "Just you wait," threatened Lungs, "We 've got stomach on our side and you should prepare yourself to taste your breakfast - TWICE!" And suddenly we were on the downward slope home.

All said, 14 minutes (1 mile). My body was finally awake and I continued with a little yoga, a bike ride to the library and a swim in the lake without another peep.

Now, if only Hair would stop partying on my head and pursue a Zen state of awareness.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

god, my hair needs zen, too. it's really hurting where the ponytail has been all summer. well, really it's been there all 17-month maternity leave.

congrats on the exercise.

Anonymous said...

Ankle is being a bastard for me now that skin has decided to clear up. Guess they just take turns.

jm said...

Kc - your ponytail suits you - let's the world see your cute face. You have a very expressive face - egaging.

jm said...

Um, that was supposed to say 'engaging.'

aemelia said...

You've inspired me to start running. Why does life in Minneapolis always sound so nice?

jm said...

MPLS IS SO NICE - today, no clouds, perfect breeze, perfect tan outside Dunn bros. coffee shop with witty friend = lovely day. Of course, better if you here.

Anonymous said...

jm -- thank you for the nice compliment. i find my face to be more and more like my dad's with each passing year, although i guess that's not the most terrible thing. it's not GREAT, mind you, but i'll live.

also, i was wondering what you had at dunn brothers.