Tuesday, August 30, 2005

War and Peace, rince and repeat...

I've been reading War and Peace for 3 years, now. At page 788, I'm half way through. Ok, I haven't actually picked it up since January. The point is, I'm going to finish it.

But first I have to start over at page one.

Seriously, these Russians are noble and not only do they have really long given names, but they all have names of nobility that have no link to their given names and then Tolstoy gives them all nicknames! I've forgotten who everyone is. I need to construct a list of characters just to get through this book.

I blame this enterprise on my diet. Apparently, I have learned a new skill. I can decide to do something just for today and worry about tomorrow later. This is not like me. I live in the past and future. Now it's just about today. Today I will say no to sugar because it makes me feel better and maybe tomorrow I'll change my mind. I will run up this hill and maybe I'll stop at the top, or maybe not. I will read War and Peace today. Who knows about tomorrow?

But I have given myself some incentive. When I've finished this Mother, I'm having a party Russian style and I'm using the GOOD vodka I received as a gift from a bride. I just hope no one falls out a window, because I remember that happened to a drunk soldier (what the hell was his name?) in the book and that would be BAD. So, Party in 2008! YEAH! Bet you can't wait.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait! And some lady fell out a window on Sex and the City too. Let's be careful. Ficticious people are dying.

aemelia said...

Da-yum. You certainly have a lot on your plate these days. I love Russian novels because nothing happens until everybody in the book shows up at the same place and then everything happens at once and people shout and someone storms out! Can you imagine if that happened at your house?

Anonymous said...

JM!!! I've been reading Anna Karinina for 2 years now!!! I'm not sure if I'm halfway through but I'm inspired by your decisions for the day. Except I think I'll continue to live in the future and read it some other day because today I have to read Harry Potter. But I'll try to be done with it when you finish War and Peace and then I'll attend your Russian party and we'll include jdoc in it because by then she can probably have a housewarming party too.... I love it when a plan comes together.

Connie said...

I have been reading the Fountainhead every year since college graduation. Maybe we should make a pact. Read or we have to paint the inside of the cupboards. Dear god.

jm said...

Auto, I read the Fountainhead - warning, she's a seductive minx! I found myself thinking like a (gasp) republican! Putting the book down, I'd wake from a spell and think I'd been brainwashed.

Yes, anything to avoid the kitchen cabinets!

Connie said...

Maybe that is why I can't finish it - boo republicans. Best start War and Peace so I have another unfinished project. . . I secretly love all of my unfinished projects like the kitchen cupboards. You should see all of the half crocheted items lurking in the corners of my house. He he he.