Saturday, November 12, 2005

Another blackmailing possibility...along with the nude modeling I did in college (for art)

Inspired by Jdoc's swimming lesson last week - an act of facing her fear - I decided it was time to conquer my fear of Bodypump. I know what you're thinking, how can someone be afraid of an exercise class, but I also happen to be afraid of making yogurt, which is a big part of my diet that I've been ignoring for the last 3 months. Fear is irrational - that's the point.

I showed up for class. That is the first and biggest step.

I admitted I had never been there before (I never make such admissions).

I didn't stick my butt out enough: "Like you're squatting over a public toilet and don't want to sit down." I was corrected several times.

I used too much weight and died half-way through.

As the person teaching the class is going for her instructor certification, my off-beat, wimpy attempts at weight lifting to the song "In the Carwash" have been captured on video. Forever.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd like to point out that you did a better job at BodyPump than I did swimming the front crawl.

Kudos!

KC said...

good work, jm!

i love bodypump, but i haven't been in forever. i believe on my first time, i used the tiniest weights for every song.

Anonymous said...

Bodypump is great - it crosses state divides cuz we have it too!! Just think - when you come to MT for Christmas, you can go to all the BP you'd like! HOW FUN!

Again, about the memoir you're soon to start - you'd get some inspiration from the book: Hypocrite in a Poufy White Dress by Susan Jane Gilman - HILARIOUS!! You have similar writing styles. I'll send it to you when I'm finished!

Anonymous said...

Wait a minute!, Wait a minute!, Was that Nude modeling? In College? Is it to late to have a long talk (Father to Daughter)?

Terr-Dogg

Connie said...

I am very afraid of body pump. My fear has spread throughout the entire gym. I relinquished my membership last year. I have nightmares that involve an eliptical machine. . .chills.

jm said...

Dad! You KNOW about the nude modeling - remember, I told Brett B. from camp that I couldn't marry him because he plans to be a politician and I said he couldn't marry someone who has modeled nude. Or did I forget to tell you that? Besides - it was ART, one photo (body landscape - no face) and a series of lifesize charcoal drawings. It helped me get over body issues. Both were hung in student shows. 10 years ago. Way too late to have a little chat. I love that I can keep surprising you after 30 years.

cdoc said...

Posing nude is liberating, I did it for about 50+ photos. Five of them were seen by other students and instructors and one of them by all of the students' family and friends. We are strong, beautiful women, why wouldn't someone want us to pose nude!

jm said...

You rock, cdoc!
(And I rhyme...)