Thursday, November 10, 2005

Merry Chrishtmash - hiccup! oops, i jush cut the lights...

I know it’s still early, but I am in the mood for Christmas. Today is the beginning of Festival of Trees (FOT) which raises money every year for my employer (healthcare org.). I have worked here almost five years and I have made 4 wreaths and volunteered at the event three times. I just returned from dropping off our wreath, which my friends and I made three weeks ago – before Halloween. I suppose we cheat a little because we display it in the Administration Office in front of the wall of windows under the guise of “advertising the event” but we know what we’re really after: Constructive Criticism.

See, this event is judged and the more input we get, the better we can make it. That’s right. I am not a competitive person, but my wreath beats your wreath any day, especially when it contains 600 white lights, all kinds of branches, seeded eucalyptus, winter berries, hydrangea blooms, 3 kinds of ribbon and a dozen bunches of grapes and comes with a basket of wine (the bottle is etched with the words “Festival of Trees 2005,”) wine glasses and assorted goodies.

Having just returned to my lonely office from the Radisson, where I left our lovely creation, I realize that being done 3 weeks in advance (with enough time to make any suggested changes) isn’t necessarily the way to go.

For instance, here I sit, very sober, while all of the other designers are listening to Christmas music, eating free cinnamon rolls and lunch and… yes, at 9 AM, they were well on their way through the several bottles of wine they will consume today while decorating! I AM MISSING OUT!

This is what being competitive has gotten me. Lonely and stone-cold sober on a sunny Thursday. Perhaps being guilty of DUI (Designing Under the Influence) would result in the greatest wreath ever created! Hey, it worked for all those papers in college – well, at least until the professor handed them back.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Feel free to get drunk and make a wreath for my house any time!

Anonymous said...

I believe the only cheating going on here is NOT hanging the wreath in the Administration Bldg, but coupling it with a basket of wine and wine glasses (for ready consumption, of course). I'm sure EVERYONE will judge it on the aesthetics and crafty combination of berries and handrangea .... NOT!

Good post JM. I believe you should start your novel very soon - make it a memoir. Then you could start benefiting from your funny escapades along with your blogger fanfare....