Maybe it’s because I’m swimming in these clothes (can’t afford to buy new clothes at the moment) or maybe my face is finally thinning out now that I’m on ½ the prednisone that I once was, but people are suddenly worried about me.
I have had 4 comments about my weight loss today alone. The director of Nutrition Services cornered me in Administration, grabbed my elbow, leaned in so that her face was a foot from mine and whispered, “You’ve lost too much weight. What’s going on?”
I informed her that I have recently been to the doctor and according to the Body Mass Index I am borderline normal/overweight. I explained that the diet helps me feel better and that weight loss is not a goal but a side effect.
“I see a doctor once a month and we’re on top of it,” I assured her. “As long as I stay in the top 50% of the Normal BMI I’m ok.”
“Just so long as you feel well. But I’m keeping an eye on you and if you start wearing three layers we’re going to have a talk.”
Such is life in this little city known as a hospital where people diagnose you as you walk down the hall. Patient privacy is a serious issue these days, but what about employee privacy?
There is a strange culture at work, people like to think they’re part of one big family. We worry about each other. We celebrate each other’s life markers. We’re completely dysfunctional, passive aggressive and nosey. (I’ve also had 2 people tell me they think I should dye my hair a darker color).
If I start getting info on eating disorders through the inneroffice mail I might just have to put an article in the company newsletter: Employee with Colitis Loses Weight But Still Within Healthy Limit.
The upshot of working here is that I got a free flu shot today.
6 comments:
I thought you looked wonderful on Halloween. I'm proud of you for sticking to your diet.
It seems girls are never small enough or now big enough. Just be comfortable with yourself.
Thank you for the support. My parents will be happy to read your report as I feared, after posting, that this might concern them.
You look HEALTHY. People should just deal.
Yes, but isn't it wonderful to know that people care enough for you to even take the time to notice. When your Mother was sick, I learned that often when people don't know what to say, they say the wrong thing. I learned to be more understanding and accepting of them. Accepting the gift of love is much much harder than giving it.
Love Ya,
Terr-Dogg
I like this Terr-Dog JM. Is this Papa? Smart man....
Yup- TerrDogg = Padre. Wish I had so much wisdom. He'd probably say it comes with the grey hair, but I think I have more grey hair than he has!
Post a Comment